Courtesy of RazorSocial.com
WordPress is the world’s most popular content management system, and for the obvious reasons. It is easy to setup, manage, and update, and it’s completely free to use. Here we’re going to share some lesser known tricks to help you get the most out of it.
- Uninstall plugins you are not using. How many plugins do you have on your site that you never use? More plugins equal higher security risk and lower performance.
- Set up a good WordPress backup facility. Creating regular WordPress backups is the best thing you can do for your website, and for your own peace of mind. There are several backup plugins for WordPress, but we recommend Vaultpress. It is fairly easy to use, provides some great security features and backup, and it comes at a reasonable price.
- Use a staging server when you’re making changes. A staging server is an environment where you have an exact copy of your website for testing purposes. When you are installing a new functionality, plugin, etc. it’s much better to add it on a staging server to verify it doesn’t break anything before you copy over. Any good hosting provider will provide staging e.g.
- Create WordPress contact forms with WPForms. If you need to create a really good contact form for WordPress, I highly recommend that you use WPForms. It is probably the easiest way to add a contact form to your site, and there is a free Lite version that offers all the basic functionality you’ll need.
- Use Pingdom to check your website speed. You need a fast website and Pingdom will help you analyze the load speed of your website, as well as show you how you can make it faster.
- Install a caching plugin. WordPress pages are built on the fly (dynamic) which can cause performance issues. Using a caching plugin like WPSuperCache can significantly speed up your website.
- Keep your website updated. It is crucial that you always use the latest version of WordPress to keep your site secure and never miss out on any new features or important bug fixes. However, make sure to test out the new release on your staging server first!